Forum

Thing - Virtual worlds

July 1st, 2021 by Jose Category: All 23 Things, Emerging technology

How much do you know about AR and VR? Because it’s HUGE and still on the rise! If you’ve ever used a Snapchat, Instagram or TikTok filter, you’ve used AR technology. (And if you haven’t, you’re missing out.)

We’re not quite at the level of tapping into the matrix, but virtual and augmented reality are hot right now. I’m constantly astounded at the things you can do with both AR and VR, which are now being used in a huge variety of industries like medicine, fashion, education and tourism.

Now while you may not have anything quite as cutting edge as that lying around you, what we do have are big imaginations and perhaps too many hours being tapped into the internet and science fiction! If you can’t do it, dream it. Or, for those interested in some exploring, it’s not that hard to dip your toe into the world of AR and VR by creating a AR lens of your own (thanks Snapchat!)

So are you feeling ready to get your Ready Player One on? I know I am, but let’s hope we don’t veer into our own Black Mirror episode in the process!

post by Jose