Forum

Thing - Video compression

July 1st, 2021 by Jane Simmons Category: All 23 Things, IT Proficiency, Productivity

Unfortunately, my technology issues never seem to end. Would you believe that it is so difficult to send a video via email? A video that arrives at its destination promptly, with the same quality it had when it was sent? It does not seem so hard, but reality doesn’t reflect my assumption!

I’ve been informed of video compression, and of the things it can assist me with. However, while the guide was informative, this video on snow and confetti has helped me understand much further. I was unaware of the all the small elements required in videos and how much the detail would impact the size – before this, I thought it was merely time that I was combatting.

Upon further investigation, I have found the comparison of videos with different frame rates per second quite interesting. The quality of these images of Peru feel as though I were there, while the upgrade of an animation from 24fps to 60fps feels bizarre. I have also discovered slow-motion videos, such as this one capturing a lightning strike at 103,000 FPS and, before I knew it, an hour had passed. This is all new for me; video compression and technology are puzzling in writing yet is impressive visually. I can only imagine how large these videos must be in their original format, before they are uploaded to the internet.

However, I digress. I understand now, going forward, why I may face errors. Hopefully, knowing all of this as I do now, I will be able to avoid all such things and send video such as this one in peace, without causing myself a headache.

post by Jane Simmons