Forum

Thing - Remixing

July 1st, 2021 by Samaira Category: All 23 Things, Content creation, Skills for educators

I love remixing photos and creating graphic collages! There are so many things possibilities, especially with all the creative commons and

I love remixing photos and creating graphic collages! There are so many possibilities, especially with all the creative commons and public domain material available online. It’s great when you, like me, get put in charge of any sort of content creation (or just want to take your dog on fake trips 70,000 leagues under the sea or all the way out into space)!

It’s a complex topic, but crucial to creating anything these days. How do you protect what you create? How much can you use, remix, or sample from someone else without being slapped with a takedown notice? Hopefully you’re feeling a lot more confident about all of it now ?

On the more interesting side of copyright, one of the surprising things is how much interesting drama is involved! Let me spill some tea for you… did you know that only certain parts of Sherlock Holmes’ character is available in the public domain? Or that Mickey Mouse is the reason why copyright laws keep being extended? Or that a photographer and PETA went to court over the rights of a monkey selfie?

There’s so much that goes on behind the scenes of all things creative! You might feel bogged down by all these logistics, but at the end of the day they are important to safeguard your own work as best you can, so you can receive the credit (and compensation) you deserve. But you don’t need to go ridiculous with it, like attempting to trademark a person’s name or anything.

What are your thoughts on copyright? I’m sure you’ve got many, and I’d love to hear them all!

post by Samaira