Forum

Thing - Online identity

July 1st, 2021 by Jane Simmons Category: All 23 Things, Content creation, Life online, Skills for educators

Lately I have realised that it is important to do something about my professional online identity. As a writer, I am constantly in the digital public eye, available for commission and comment on request, and findable via search engines when readers wish to know something about me.

You can understand, then, why I was aghast when I searched my name only to discover some rather compromising photos come up! I will not burden you with the details, but it was incredibly shocking that my name would bring up such results when I consider myself a paragon of virtue! I have not done any such partying and the like. I thought it must have been a horrible error, until further research revealed that it was not me, but another Jane Simmons.

To say I was relieved, well, that is an overstatement. However, my name is still attached to these images. From these results, you would not be able to ascertain what an incredibly successful and flawless professional I am. I know now that I have neglected a necessary part of my business.

I will use what I have learned in this guide to build an online presence that conveys my awesome talents and material to the world. I will start by using a handle unrelated to these photos, or perhaps I will upload a better, more suitable photo, to achieve more hits and surpass the others. Yes. It is all coming together.

post by Jane Simmons