Forum

Thing - Game making

July 1st, 2021 by Kris Category: All 23 Things, Creativity and innovation

Games have come along way since Pong, Space Invaders and the beloved Pac-Man – we’ve gone from tiny screens and arcade machines to motion capture technology, VR and even artificially intelligent characters and narratives! Though each of these are evolving (and can be problematic in a variety of ways), it’s amazing to see how games are continuing to advance and wow.

Now, looking at all of these fancy elements, it feels as though creating a video game is a difficult journey that requires advanced skill and a lot of money. This may be the case for some types of games, particularly AAA games, but creating a game can be done by anyone!

This is where we come to my true love: indie games.

These wonderful games are created by individuals or much smaller teams of people, and focus on innovation, experimentation and risk-taking. And they are not to be discredited at all; fantastic and wonderfully successful indie games include stars like Stardew Valley, Undertale and, oh, did I mention Minecraft?

What I’m trying to say is, the world is your oyster! Game making can start with just you, experimenting with what you want and enjoying what you do.

You can explore a whole range of amazing indie games on sites like itch.io, and get started with a range of open source software.

post by Kris