23 Things is an online program is designed to help students develop digital capabilities to be successful in study, work and life. The program consists of 23 short topics or ‘things’ that introduce a technology or digital skill, providing information, activities and additional resources to explore. Participants can also attend online and face to face workshops which put the content into a practical context. 23 Things has been created by students, for students.
Anyone can participate in 23 Things by reading through the content and completing each of the Things in their own time.
In Semester 2, 2020 we will be focussing on 10 of the 23 Things, while gradually making all 23 Things accessible and available throughout the Semester. See the schedule below.
Curtin students who participate can go into the draw to win a $100 voucher each week, and a grand prize of $500 at the end of semester for overall participation.
For any further enquiries, please contact email@example.com
How to participate
- sign up to our mailing list and receive a weekly email update during Semester two. The emails provide overviews of the Things, notification of when 23 Things events are scheduled, and any updates to the course.
- access regular information on the Certitude blog.
- attend an online workshop, and/or face to face workshop each week
- participate in a weekly challenge to create something and share it on the Makerspace Facebook group
- Curtin students can enter a weekly competition draw to win a voucher, and a grand prize for overall participation. See the competition details.
|Week||Date||“Thing”||Workshops (online and face-to-face)|
|Oweek||27 – 31 July||Info Session||Develop your digital and creative skills|
|Week 1||2- 7 August||Info Session (repeat)||Develop your digital and creative skills|
|Week 2||10 – 14 August||Getting started||Creative thinking|
|Week 3||17 – 21 August||Video editing||Video editing and polishing|
|Video formats and compression|
|Week 4||24 – 28 August||Data makeover||Data makeover: visualisation and infographics|
|Week 5 Tuition Free||31 – 4 Sept||Arduino 101: Getting started|
|Arduino 101: Project-based activity|
|Week 6||7 – 11 Sept||Digital creativity||Image remix: Becoming familiar with the software|
|Week 7||14- 18 Sept||Remix and reuse||Image remix: Digital art|
|Week 8||21 – 25 Sept||3D modelling||3D models: Part One – Becoming familiar with the software|
|Week 9 Tuition Free||28 – 2 Oct||3D models: Part Two – Creating a basic object|
|Intro to Robotics|
|Week 10||5 -9 Oct||Internet of Things||Tinker with Micro-bits|
|Week 11||12 – 16 Oct||Basic coding||Deciphering Code: Basic Programming in Java|
|Week 12||19 – 23 Oct||Your digital footprint||Your Digital Security|
|Week 13||26 – 30 Oct||Digital storytelling||Digital storytelling|